The ‘Climate change’ course will be developed for Year 7 and 8 students (Curriculum levels 4-5).
Draft outline of the modules:
- What is climate change and why is it bad?
- What is climate?
- What key factors affect climate?
the Greenhouse effect
- The Atmosphere
- How does the greenhouse effect work?
- What are the different greenhouse gases and where do they come from?
- Ecological footprint – introduction
- Carbon footprint
- What countries have the highest carbon footprints?
- Which human activities have the highest carbon footprints?
|5||Oceans and Ice|
- Sea temperature
- Reduction in land ice
- Reduction in sea ice
- Hurricanes, storms, floods and cold waves
- Droughts and heat waves
|7||Impacts of climate change|
- Sea level rise
- Water shortages
- Food shortages
|8||Reducing carbon emmissions|
- Economic/Technological solutions e.g. solar economy, clean tech.
- Political solutions e.g. carbon tax
- Reducing carbon footprint at home
carbon storage and biocapacity
- Introduction to biocapacity
- Carbon offsetting and storage – planting trees/reforestation etc
- Organic farming and better
- What have we learned?
- Where to from here?