- Overview and explanation of the course
- What is sustainability? Why be sustainable?
- Household ecological footprint – the main areas
Design and construction
- Thermal efficiency and ventilation
- Location, orientation and passive solar gain
- Construction methods and materials
- Renewable vs non-renewable; Clean (non-carbon/solar) vs carbon
- Energy generation at home
|Energy uses 1:|
Space heating and cooling
- What is heat? How do we feel heat?
- Different heating options with pros/cons
- Energy savings
|Energy uses 2:|
Hot water, lighting
- Hot water heating options and energy saving
- Cooking/Appliances – options and energy savings
- Lighting options and energy saving
|Food and goods|
- The lifecycle of food and goods:
Production > Processing/Packaging > Distribution > Consumption > Waste
- Sustainable options
- Looking after soil
- Growing vegetables, fruit and herbs
- What are trees and shrubs good for?
- What water is used for in the home, and how much?
- Saving water inside and outside
- Rainwater and greywater systems
- Different types of waste
- Types of transport with pros/cons
- Sustainable options: Biking, walking, public